Sewvivor - Challenge Two - Quilted Bag

You underestimate the power of the Dark Side. If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny.   -Darth Vader

star wars bag

And folks, i can say after this challenge that making quilted bags is not my destiny! I lost count of how many ideas i tried to build on and how many bag options there are to work with. In the end i stuck with my original bag choice, the Dorothy Day Tripper from Swoon Sewing Patterns. I like that it's the same shape as the Weekender, just smaller. So there's still a fair bit of surface space to improv piece with, but not be overwhelmed. (which was nice for my first foray into quilted bag making!)

star wars bag

After pulling stack after stack of fabrics i finally decided to work with my rapidly dwindling collection of Lizzy House Constellations. And what works perfectly with the starry prints? Star Wars of course! So a Storm Trooper was whipped up using Kristy from Quiet Play's fantastic and free Lego Star Wars pattern.
And what Dark Side Day Tripper would be complete without some wonky stars to run alongside the zipper!

star wars bag

I matchstick quilted everything using Sulky invisible thread and i absolutely love that it's just complete texture without really seeing the lines from thread. 
Despite that fact that it blew up two of my bobbins and was an absolute pain to sew with!

star wars bag


But when the light hits it right, it sparkles! And every bag needs a bit of sparkle, right?!

star wars bag
Love my Hera marker!, seriously if you don't have one you should go right out and pick one up! For those that don't know what it is, it just leaves a crease in the fabric for you to sew on. Instead of marking with a pen that needs to be washed or ironed off.

star wars bag

I eliminated the pocket on the back of the bag and replaced it with a caravan of AT-AT walkers that i appliqued on after the quilting was finished. Need i say more? AT-AT walkers people! You can never go wrong with AT-AT walkers!

And finally, what Star Wars bag would be complete without a patchwork Death Star zip pouch! 

star wars bag
This little bit of awesome was made using Melinda from Quirky Granola Girl's Patchwork Death Star pattern printed out at 75% and hand sewn with Aurifil in Dove Grey. For my first time hand sewing curves i think i did pretty well!

star wars bag

It sits safely latched behind the Storm Trooper for protection :)

star wars bag

With that, i'll leave you to go and enjoy the other entries! I can't wait to see what everyone else has made :) And if you feel inclined to vote for my little Dark Side Day Tripper, thanks in advance! Here's a link to get you there! I would love to carry on to the third round!

High fives for the finish of round two,
and fingers crossed on making it into round three!
xo nicole


Comments

  1. This is so cool!! I have a hoarded fq bundle of constellations that I am hesitant to cut into, but this bag makes me rethink my decision to not cut into it! So so so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You pulled out all the stops. I can't imagine you not making it into round 3. There's so much to look at here. If I had an awesome bag like this, I'd never leave home without it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I love the AT-AT's and the finishing touch of the death star. Off to vote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is awesome!!! I love the theme, the fabric, the paper. Piecing, the improv, and the quilting!! Your Death Star is phenomenal and I am trying to figure out how you put that zip in?!?!? I bet the boys are over the moon for this bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole, this is all kinds of AMAZING!!! You will absolutely get my vote :) Really knocked this round out of the park! Good luck.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow it's so cute! And there are so many awesome details! I love the storm trooper, the lizzy house, the wonky stars, the AT-ATs and of course the death star coin purse! What a cute idea to do with that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just have to say, this is one of the coolest quilt projects I've ever seen! You definitely got my vote for this round! And I just had to come all the way over here to tell you that, bc I think this was too awesome to not applaud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ab. So. Lute. Ly. Incredible! I can't imagine anyone will come up with a bag as unique as this! Fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO freaking AWESOME! I love the quilting. I didn't even know a bobbin could blow up like that. That's kinda awesome too...though I'm a total pain in the booty. I'm heading over to vote for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My personal favorite!!! So clever!! The quilting the blocks the prints- LOVE IT LADY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SOO stellar! Constellations get me every time. You definitely have my vote!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is EPIC!! I need this in my life!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome is the only fitting word!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow, very fun and creative! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is incredible. I can't keep the smile off my face. Everything about your bag is brilliant and the final touch of a little Death Star pouch just tips it right over the edge into perfection. I'm also jealous of you or whoever ends up getting to carry all their stuff around in this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so awesome! Amazing creativity! I love it. That's crazy about the exploding bobbins.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nicole,
    As soon as I saw this bag I started to squeal! My daughter came running to see what was wrong, then I showed her it and SHE started to squeal! This bag is AMAZING! I would love to make one for my son. Where did you find the AT-AT patterns? I would love to put them on my bag too, but I'm no artist. Needless to say, I voted for you and my daughter did too and she hasn't participated thus far with the contest. I hope you move on,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not into Star Wars at all, but I LOVE these items. I just had to leave a comment. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Every time I see something like this it reminds me that we can make anything we want! Super creative!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG! Love this so much! I am a huge Star Wars fan and this made me so excited to see! I definitely gave you my vote for sewvivor! Each picture was so awesome, I kept scrolling to see the next one and then I went through them all again to read your story:) <3! Great job:).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome job. Love the star wars theme. and that purse! you go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the edition of the death star zip pouch. I know you will make it through to the next round.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just found your site and I think the bags are amazing!!!!! I love the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this! It got posted on Facebook by Aurifil so of course I had to visit. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So amazing! The AT-ATs are fantastic! Are they applique or pieced? The whole thing is awesome. Love that you made a Death Star zippy :) Also, I've never seen a bobbin do that before - that must have caused a good few curse words (and for it to happen twice - what the hell!??) glad it resulted in the sparkly though!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This one was my favorite, cleaver, original and I would proudly sport this bag. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an awesome bag. You created such an original piece. Congrats on moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is beyond amazing and one of the awesomest things I have ever seen on the internet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!
And will usually respond by email, unless you're a no reply blogger. Then pop back here for a response!

Popular Posts